IndyCar500 : Dan Wheldon stirbt bei Horrorunfall !!!

Mandalorianer

Administrator
Teammitglied
Themen
Reaktionen
IndyCar500 : Dan Wheldon stirbt bei Horrorunfall !!!

Las Vegas – Die IndyCar-Szene steht unter Schock. Einer ihrer besten, der zweifache Sieger des Motorsportklassiker Indy 500, Dan Wheldon (33) aus Großbritannien, ist am Sonntag tödlich verunglückt. Wheldon hatte in diesem Jahr zum zweiten Mal nach 2005 den Motorsportklassiker Indy 500 gewonnen.

Was als fröhlicher Saisonabschluss geplant war, endete in einer Katastrophe. Wheldon und 14 weitere Piloten waren in der zehnten Runde in Las Vegas ineinander gefahren. Der 33-jährige Brite fuhr als einer der Letzten in den Massencrash und wurde bei der Kollision durch die Luft geschleudert, Er schlug mit hoher Geschwindigkeit in einer der Fangzäune. Wheldon hatte keine Chance. Obwohl Ärzte unmittelbar nach dem Horrorcrash um das Leben des Topfahrers kämpften und ihn per Hubschrauber in eine Klinik in Las Vegas brachten, kam jede Hilfe zu spät. In der Klinik konnte nur noch der Tod des Vaters zweier Söhne festgestellt werden.

Andere Beteiligte des Unfalls erlitten nur leichte Verletzungen. Das Rennen wurde nach dem Unfall abgebrochen.

Rennkollegin Danica Patrick: „Es war wie in einem brutalen Film. Auf der ganzen Fahrbahn lagen Trümmerteile, man konnte den Rauch riechen, die Rauchschwaden vom Auto aufsteigen sehen und es war ein Feuerklotz, um den wir herumgefahren sind. Es gibt dafür keine Worte. Ich bin wie viele andere am Boden zerstört.”

Die Piloten fuhren auf dem Speedway fünf Ehrenrunden für ihren verstorbenen Kollegen.

Auch der britische Formel-1-Pilot Lewis Hamilton zeigte sich bestürzt: „Das ist ein extrem trauriger Tag. Das ist ein tragischer Verlust in so einem jungen Alter. Mein Herz ist in dieser extrem schwierigen Zeit bei seiner Familie und seinen Freunden.”

Wheldon hatte in diesem Jahr zum zweiten Mal nach 2005 den Motorsportklassiker Indy 500 gewonnen.

Michael Andretti, Wheldons Teamchef von 2003 bis 2005:

"Dan war ein Indy-500-Sieger und ein IndyCar-Champion mit Andretti Autosport. Und er war einer unserer engsten Rivalen. Dan hat ein unglaubliches Maß an Enthusiasmus in den Sport gebracht. Wir werden seine Leistungen und auch seine Persönlichkeit immer in Ehren halten. Unsere Gedanken sind bei Dans Familie, seinem Team und seinen Freunden. Er ist einer der ganz großen IndyCar-Champions."

Chip Ganassi, Wheldons Teamchef von 2006 bis 2008:
"Mir fehlen die Worte. Wir werden ihn vermissen. Heute ist jeder im Umfeld der IndyCar ein klein wenig gestorben."

Sam Schmidt, Wheldons letzter Teamchef:
"Dan Wheldon war ein bemerkenswerter Wettbewerber, ein großartiger Rennfahrer und ein toller Mensch. Es war uns eine Ehre, dass er für unser Team gefahren ist. Alle Mitglieder von Sam Schmidt Motorsports sind unendlich traurig über seinen Tod. Unsere Gebete gehören seiner Familie, speziell seiner Frau Susie und seinen beiden Kindern."

Wheldon hinterlässt Frau Susie und zwei Söhne Sebastian (2) und Oliver (7 Monate).

Möge Er in Frieden Ruhen !!!
Gruss vom Gollum

Q

Admin im Ruhestand
Themen
Reaktionen
Rest in peace...

AMUN

Admin im Ruhestand
Themen
Reaktionen
R.I.P. :(

The tragic death of Dan Wheldon yesterday has touched many in and around the F1 community.

Drivers and team members, past and present, have paid tribute to the IndyCar racer, who died yesterday a crash in Las Vegas.

Here is a selection of the messages they have sent over the last 24 hours.

Lewis Hamilton

This is an extremely sad day. Dan was a racer I’d followed throughout my career, as I often followed in his footsteps as we climbed the motorsport ladder in the UK.

He was an extremely talented driver, as a British guy, who not only went over to the States but who twice won the Indy 500. This is a tragic loss at such a young age. My heart goes out to his family and friends during this extremely difficult time.

Jenson Button

Just woken up to the most horrific news. I have so many good memories of racing with Dan in the early nineties, a true fighter.

We’ve lost a legend in our sport but also a great guy. I can’t begin to imagine what his family are going through and my thoughts are with them at this very difficult time.

Michael Schumacher

All of us, we try to convince ourselves constantly that motorsport nowadays is so safe that nobody has to lose his life, but then unfortunately that`s still wishful thinking.

I have heard this morning about the terrible accident which caused Dan Wheldon to die, and it just left me shocked and speechless. My thoughts are now with his family.

Mark Webber

Rest in Peace Dan. I remember our early days in the UK ’95/96. Miss ya.

Rubens Barrichello

Just got out from the plane and got the terrible news about the death of our friend Dan Wheldon. Will always remember the great times we had at karting in Brazil my friend. Rest in peace.

Paul di Resta

Very sad news that a great racer died. Rest in peace Dan. Thoughts are with your family.

Jaime Alguersuari

Heard about the bad news rest in peace Dan.

Heikki Kovalainen

Very sad to read Dan Wheldon has died, RIP.

Pastor Maldonado

Sorry about Wheldon, we have to work and increasing safety on the tracks, especially on the ovals.

Sergio Perez

How sad to hear the news of Dan Wheldon!

Jerome D’Ambrosio

RIP Dan Wheldon.

Karun Chandhok

Just bumped into Mark Webber in Singapore airport who told me the shocking news about Dan Wheldon. Thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Narain Karthikeyan

A sad day for motorsport – amidst all of its easy to forget that hazards of motor-racing still exist. RIP Dan Wheldon.

Pedro de la Rosa

Our thoughts go to Dan Wheldon’s family. Can not imagine what they are going through. Always on our mind.

Gary Paffett

Tragically Dan Weldon has been killed in the crash at Vegas today. A massive loss to the motorsport world. He was a star and a real nice guy. The untimely death of Dan Wheldon at the peak of his career has really reminded me of how cruel Motor Racing can be. We have lost a star!

McLaren

RIP Dan Wheldon. We pass on our condolences to his family and friends. Our thoughts are with them.

Williams

A tragic loss of a great motorsport talent who will be missed by so many. Our thoughts are with Dan Wheldon’s family and friends.

Sauber

Yesterday was one of the bad days of motorsport. Our thoughts are with all involved and especially Dan Wheldon’s family and team.

Lotus

We would like to add our thoughts and prayers to the multitude of people paying respect to Dan Wheldon. A true Champion has passed away. RIP.

Virgin

From all at Marussia Virgin Racing, our heartfelt condolences to Dan Wheldon’s family and friends. A tragic loss for them and for motorsport.

Petronas Motorsports

Tragic news on IndyCar driver Dan Wheldon’s death yesterday. Sincere condolences to his family from us at Petronas Motorsports.

Alan Permane (Renault)

My thoughts go out to his family and friends and all my mates working in IndyCar. RIP Dan.

Rene Dias Torcato (Renault)

Woke up to the news of a massive stunt in IndyCar to find out the shock news of Dan Wheldon losing his life. Extremely terrible news. RIP.

Riad Asmat (Lotus)

Truly sad to hear about Dan Wheldon, very very unfortunate.

Tom Webb (Lotus)

RIP Dan Wheldon. He was a Great Briton, a rare talent and a magnificent ambassador for the motorsport community worldwide. Thoughts also with Julian and all at CSS. They went through this in ’94 with Ayrton so hope they can navigate next days and months with strength.

Paul Hembery (Pirelli)

Terrible to wake up to news of Dan Wheldon’s death racing in Vegas. RIP and my sincere condolences to his wife and children.

Enrique Bernoldi

I still cant believe what happened yesterday, RIP my friend Dan Wheldon my thoughts are with your family and friends. We’re gonna miss you, God bless.

Mark Blundell

RIP Dan Wheldon, my thoughts go to his family, loss of a great young talent and nice guy. Racing can be so cruel at times. RIP Indy 500 winner. Days like this are never easy for any driver old and young, brings home the risk and underlines in bold, make tougher when you know the guy!

Martin Brundle

It’s so so sad about Dan Wheldon. Deepest condolences to his wife and young children along with family and friends. This is a cruel sport.

Luciano Burti

Really sad with Dan Wheldon’s death in Indy. An ex-rival in the British race tracks that became a friend. All my thoughts to his family.

Anthony Davidson

Spent so many races trying to match Daniel as we grew up and raced together. I’m utterly devastated to hear the sad news. RIP Dan.

Robert Doornbos

RIP Dan Wheldon. What a great champion and colleague! My thoughts and prayers are with Dan and his family!

Christian Fittipaldi

My prayers and thoughts to Dan’s family and friends.

Emerson Fittipaldi

Very sad day! Two times Indy 500 winner! Great Champion! All my condolences and love to Dan Wheldon’s family! I have seen many fine men/racers leave us prematurely over my lifetime, it is an unfortunate part of our sport. Godspeed Dan Wheldon.

Johnny Herbert

Just read the sad news. My thoughts to all his family and friends. RIP Dan.

Nigel Mansell

“Just heard the dreadful news of Dan Wheldon we send our thoughts and condolences to his family. A great young man with so much talent.”

Perry McCarthy

Very sad to hear the terrible news of Dan Wheldon. RIP mate.

Allan McNish

Rest in peace Dan, we will miss you. All my thoughts are with the Wheldons right now. Sad day.

Tiago Monteiro

Still can’t get over it. So sad. Specially having such young kids. [...] I only met him once, was a lovely guy. A tragic loss!

Juan Pablo Montoya

Life is not fair. We are gonna miss a really great guy. Dan we are gonna miss you.

Tiff Needell

Dan Wheldon the little kid I interviewed for a Top Gear karting special long ago who would be a double Indy winner now gone forever – RIP.

Max Papis

Here thinking of all my IndyCar friends, I never though we would have gone trough again this after Greg… let’s learn out of it.

Nelson Piquet Jnr

Can’t believe the news of Dan Wheldon. My prayers for his family and closer friends.

Antonio Pizzonia

What a tragedy! Hard to believe. RIP, my friend!

Takuma Sato

I am so deeply sad for Dan Wheldon’s family. He was a great competitor and gentleman. All his friends in motorsport will miss him deeply.

Scott Speed

All I keep thinking about is how we can help his family! It’s impossible to imagine what they must be going through right now. So damn sad.

Justin Wilson

Just don’t know what to say. So many thought that are mixed up right now. Dan is one of the Indycar greats. Thoughts with his family.

Sakon Yamamoto

Very shocking news [...] it’s very very sad for motorsport. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family. RIP Dan Wheldon.

Alex Yoong

Rest in peace Dan, A true competitor in the prime of his life. Our thoughts are with his family and friends. He will be missed.

Derek Warwick

British Racing Drivers’ Club president Derek Warwick sent the following statement on behalf of the club:

“On behalf of the British Racing Drivers’ Club (BRDC), I wish to extend my sincere sympathies to Dan’s wife Susie and their boys Sebastian and Oliver, as well as the rest of his family and his team following the tragic news of his death in a racing accident yesterday at Las Vegas in the final Indy Car Series round of the year.

“The BRDC is extremely proud of Dan and all that he achieved and was achieving in the United States. He was undoubtedly one of the great talents of his generation as his racing results testified. Two victories in the Indy 500 put him in a very select group of drivers and having won the Rookie of the Year honours in 2003 it was no surprise that he should win the Indy Car Championship in 2005. Dan followed this in 2006 by winning the BRDC Gold Star, beating the likes of Jenson Button, Mark Webber, David Coulthard and Dario Franchitti to this coveted award.

“Dan was a true professional and a great ambassador for the sport. He was highly focused in the way he approached his racing and a real perfectionist. He pushed himself, and those he worked with, hard to produce results that were worthy of his talents and that fed his insatiable hunger to win. With his film-star good looks and athletic prowess, it was no wonder that the American public took him to their hearts.

“In the BRDC we will remember Dan as a great racing driver who was very much involved with the Club and our circuit at Silverstone during the formative years of his career. Dan was, for many years, part of the BRDC ‘Rising Stars’ young driver programme. So proud of this recognition was he, that even after qualifying to be a Full Member of the BRDC he chose to remain a Rising Star, as he felt it represented what he was and helped the Indy Car world understand where he was set on going; to the very top. As a young driver Dan was also a finalist in the McLaren Autosport BRDC Young Driver of the Year Award on two occasions, which was proof, if it was needed, that great things lay ahead of him.

“When Dan did eventually become a Full Member of the BRDC he commented at the time, ‘To be included in a group of such great names makes me feel very special. I will do everything that I can to represent the BRDC in a way that makes you all very proud.’

“Dan Wheldon was a great ambassador for the BRDC and motor sport generally. He will be hugely missed.”

frank63

Super V:I:P
Themen
Reaktionen
...alle sollten sich über das Risiko bewusst sein, aber viele denken sicher auch, das es
einen selbst nicht treffen wird. So aber ist der Motorsport. Fehler werden nicht
verziehen.
Ruhe in Frieden, Dan Wheldon...

Oben